At Dunster First School, we are committed to delivering a curriculum which is relevant to our unique position in Exmoor National Park. Each class has weekly Outdoor Learning Sessions, so wellington boots are a must! We explore the school grounds, school field with views of the beautiful West Somerset coastline and local area. We visit the local deer park, Conygar Tower and beach. Each class also engages in forest school sessions in the woods on the Moorland Edge every term. We have close links with Dunster Castle which is a stone's throw away and a thriving medieval village to visit. All the children visit the Yarn Market in the centre of the village, which is featured on our school logo.
Welcome to Moorland Edge, the forest school offering at Dunster First School.
We are committed to providing a learning approach that allows children to flourish, gain confidence, and foster a deep connection with nature.
Benefits of Outdoor Learning
Outdoor Learning offers an array of incredible benefits for our students. Here are just a few reasons why we prioritise outdoor education:
- Enhancing Confidence and Self-Esteem: Through hands-on experiences in a natural environment, children build resilience, develop problem-solving skills, and gain confidence in their abilities.
- Igniting Curiosity and Creativity: Exploring the outdoors stimulates curiosity, sparking a sense of wonder and imagination. Our students embrace the opportunity to discover new things and unleash their creativity.
- Connecting with Nature: Outdoor Learning allows children to develop a profound appreciation for the natural world. It nurtures their understanding of environmental sustainability and their role in preserving our planet.
- Promoting Physical Health: Being outdoors encourages physical activity and an active lifestyle. Our students engage in energetic play, improve their motor skills, and develop a love for staying active.
- Fostering Social Skills and Teamwork: Collaborative activities in an outdoor setting foster teamwork, communication, and cooperation among our students. They learn to work together, support each other, and build lifelong friendships.
A Thriving Forest School Area
Our designated Forest School Area is an invaluable resource within our school grounds. It is meticulously maintained by our students, who take great pride in its upkeep. They actively contribute to the design and development of the area, including the recent addition of a serene nature garden. This space provides a tranquil setting for contemplation and promotes emotional well-being.
Outdoor Learning at Dunster School is an adventure-filled journey of discovery, where students learn, grow, and flourish in the embrace of nature. Join us as we explore the wonders of the great outdoors, nurturing a lifelong connection to the natural world.