At Moorland Federation, we recognise that physical education (PE) and sports play a pivotal role in fostering active and healthy lives among children and young people. Our goal is to provide the foundation for positive, enjoyable, and regular participation in physical activity, setting our pupils on the path to a healthy lifestyle.
The Significance of PE & Sport Funding
Most of our funding for PE and sport comes from the PE and Sport Premium Grant, which is based on the number of pupils in years 1 to 6. This crucial funding helps us to:
- Develop or extend the PE and sport activities that we already offer
- Build capacity and capability to ensure that current improvements will benefit future generations of pupils
We use this funding in alignment with five key indicators of improvement:
- Engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity
- Raising the profile of PE and sport as a tool for whole-school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge, and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
Optimising the Use of Our Funding
The funding serves to expand and enrich our sports and PE programmes by allowing us to:
- Provide staff with professional development, mentoring, training, and resources to improve their PE and sport teaching capabilities
- Hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers to enhance current opportunities
- Introduce new sports, dances or other activities to motivate more pupils to embrace sport and physical activities
- Support and engage the least active children through targeted activities, and by running or extending school sports and holiday clubs
- Encourage pupils to take on leadership or volunteer roles that support sport and physical activity within the school
- Embed physical activity into the school day through active travel to and from school, active playgrounds, and active teaching
Celebrating Our Sporting Heritage and Achievements
At the Moorland Federation, we take immense pride in the history of our pupils' participation in sporting activities and our broad range of activities that promote lifelong healthy habits. Our young Sports Leaders work closely with our Federation PE Lead to ensure that our offerings are well-received by all pupils. We celebrate achievements, sportsmanship behaviours, perseverance, and effort in regular assembly awards.
Through our PE and Sport Grant Funding, we continue to create an environment where our pupils can thrive, develop their skills, and explore the full potential of sport and physical activity. We welcome our community to join us on this exciting and health-focused journey.